2011 was yet another great year. The highlight was obviously the addition of a second little one to our family. This blissful year didn’t really carry over to the blog though. I have a back-log of grilled treats I would like to share since the grill was fired up quite a lot (not so much in the last few months). On the beery side though I really didn’t accomplish much, and my Golden Goblet picks reflect that. I had to drop several categories from last year because I simply couldn’t come up with any winners due to a “lack of entries”.
- Best Belgian Beer – Orval (see pub of the year)
- Best International Beer – Verdi imperial stout
- Best Homebrew I made in 2011 – Road Runner Rebel Stout
- Best Beer induced Experience – working at the Alvinne Craft Beer Festival
- Best Beer Graphic(s) – this was a tough one but I ended up going with the overall look of Red Brick Brewing’s new packaging. Too bad they didn’t carry these new graphics over to all parts of their brand, like their website. Work on that guys.
- Worst Beer Graphic(s) – Westvleteren Brick
- Pub/Bar/cafe of the Year – Melkerij. This is not a cafe you will find in any beer guide or hear about from any other beer geek. Its just not that kind of place… But in 2011 it was exactly what I needed. Its in the deep dark woods, has lots of outdoor seating and a massive playground. Yup, I said playground. With a baby and a toddler it wasn’t easy to get away and explore far off specialty bars, but when you can see your little girl having a ball on the slide while you and your baby sit in the dappled sunlight enjoying an Orval, those specialty bars just seem a bit ridiculous
- Beer Festival of the Year – Alvinne Craft Beer Festival
- Beer Retailer of the Year – Dranken Geers. They have really done a good job in getting some of the better rare stuff and some great non-belgians. All for a good price too.
- Best Beer Blog or Website – Oh Beautiful Beer
- Food and Beer Pairing of the Year – Pulled Pork, RodenQue sauce, and Rodenbach Grand Cru
- Beer I’m most looking forward to in 2012 – New addition 2011
- In 2012 I’d Most Like To – like last year, Brew on a real brewery system… perhaps another collaboration?
- Open Category – This year the Open Category is awarded to the brewer who has done the least in 2011 and who really needs to get things going in 2012. I’m calling it the “Get your ducks in a row trophy,” and the winner is… (drum roll)… me!
Hope you had a good 2011 and hope you have an even better 2012!
3 thoughts on “Golden Goblets 2011”
We are very honored to be voted “Best Retailer of the year” ! Be prepared for some new imports this year, because we want to win you Golden Goblet again for 2012!
Orval, the best beer !